Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
George Gough Booth Papers
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Cranbrook Academy of Art Administration Records
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Ralph Rapson Papers
Abstract Ralph Rapson, born on September 13, 1914, in Alma, Michigan, won a scholarship to the University of Michigan's College of Architecture in 1935. Admitted to the Phi Kappa Phi Society in 1938, he was encouraged to apply for the George G. Booth Travelling Fellowship in Architecture. He did not receive the fellowship but his submission impressed Eliel Saarinen, who offered Rapson a scholarship to attend the Academy of Art, where he helped Saarinen on a planning project for the State Capitol...
Dates: 1935 - 1954
S. Glen Paulsen Papers
Abstract Serenus Glen Paulsen attended the University of Illinois, College of Fine and Applied Art from 1938 to 1942, then spent three years in the military under commanding officer, Marshall Fredericks (a sculptor). After the war, he received his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Pennsylvania, School of Fine Arts, followed by a Master of Architecture and City Planning from the Royal Academy of Arts, Stockholm, Sweden. Paulsen worked for several firms, including Eero Saarinen and...
Dates: 1940 - 1990
Saarinen Family Papers
Abstract Finnish architect, Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen was born August 20, 1873. In 1904 Saarinen married artist Minna Carolina Mathilde Louise “Loja” Gesellius (b. 1879). The Saarinen's daughter Eeva Lisa “Pipsan” was born in Helsingfors, Finland on 31 March 1905 and their son Eero was born in Kyrkslaett, Finland on 20 August 1910. In 1923 Eliel met the Detroit newspaper magnate George Gough Booth, who was to become his chief patron in America. At Booth’s invitation, Saarinen moved his practice to...
Dates: 1880 - 1989
Saarinen-Swanson Reunion Records
Abstract Eliel Saarinen, along with his wife Loja, son Eero, daughter Pipsan, and son-in-law J. Robert F. Swanson, founded a creative tradition at Cranbrook that endures to this day. The Saarinens' fame and design philosophies attracted many of the brightest talents in the architectural, design, and planning fields to study at Cranbrook or to work for their businesses --- known variously as Saarinen and Swanson; Saarinen and Saarinen; Saarinen, Swanson, and Saarinen; Swanson Associates; and Eero...
Dates: 1995 - 2001
Astrid Sampe Collection of Eero Saarinen Correspondence
Abstract Astrid Sampe studied at the Higher Industrial Art School of Stockholm and as an exchange student at the Royal Academy of Art in London. Her career spanned many decades starting in 1935, and encompassed being head of Nordiska Kompaniet (NK), being appointed "Royal Designer, Hon.RDI of the Royal Society of Arts and, in 1951, wove the first fiberglass fabrics. This collection comprises correspondence reflecting the romantic attachment between Eero Saarinen and Astrid Sampe, as well as her role...
Dates: 1948 - 1960
Swanson Associates, Inc. Records
Abstract Swanson Associates, Inc., an architectural and planning firm that incorporated interior design, was established in 1947 by J. Robert F. Swanson and Pipsan Saarinen Swanson. In December 1965, it split into two affiliated companies, Swanson Associates, Inc., and Countryside Investment Corporation, which managed rental and investment assets. Pipsan was its director and the Swanson family owned its stock. In 1973, Ludwig Jorgensen negotiated the purchase of the Lone Pine Inn from the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1924 - 1982