Arts and crafts movement
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook personalities,...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract Doris Corbett was a history professor and well-known singer and ballad composer, teaching and performing throughout the United States and Canada. While pursuing her doctorate in history, Ms. Corbett’s research brought her to Cranbrook to study the Arts & Crafts movement, Ellen Scripps Booth, and Nellie Beveridge Gray. The bulk of the collection consists of Ms. Corbett’s research of Ellen Scripps Booth and Nellie Beveridge Gray. Of particular note are the transcripts of the oral histories...
Dates: Circa 1873-1989
Abstract Betty Trost was an avid gardener, whose love of gardening extended beyond her own home to Cranbrook, where she became one of seventeen charter members of the Cranbrook Gardens Auxiliary in 1971. Trost was interested in researching and documenting the history of the gardens and the auxiliary. In 1994, she began gathering information regarding the history and development of the individual garden areas, in anticipation of the 25th anniversary of the auxiliary. From 1996 to its completion in 1998,...
Dates: 1951 - 2005