Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract In the summer of 1951, Dorothy entered Cranbrook Academy of Art under the VA bill and studied weaving with Marianne Strengell. She was selected for the student traveling exhibition 1952-1953 and studied at The Textile Institute of Boras - Stockholm in the fall of 1953. She stayed to study Arts and Crafts and therapeutic work in Europe for the next six months. Dorothy returned to the United States in 1954 and resided in Detroit. She continued to exhibit her textiles throughout the 1950s, winning...
Dates: 1949 - 1959
Abstract Marianne Strengell, daughter of Finnish architect Gustaf Strengell and interior designer Anna Wegelius. Prior to becoming an instructor at Cranbrook in 1937 on Eliel Saarinen's invitation, Strengell held several positions in Scandinavia, designing rugs, textiles and interiors. In 1942, when Loja Saarinen retired, Strengell replaced her as head of the Department of Weaving and Textile Design. She developed a curriculum that emphasized weave structure, versus the more pictorial imagery used by...
Dates: 1620 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1928 - 1995
Abstract During the summer of 1941, Robert Sailors studied weaving at Cranbrook Academy of Art, and in 1942, Sailors received a scholarship to attend Cranbrook where he primarily studied weaving with Marianne Strengell. In June 1944, Sailors became the Assistant Director and Instructor in the Weaving Department, a position he held for two years. During that time, he was responsible for instructing weaving students on the power loom which was installed at Cranbrook in 1945. In 1947, Sailors left...
Dates: 1989 - 1995