Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 46 Collections and/or Records:
Cranbrook Skating Club Records
Abstract The Cranbrook Skating Club began as an outgrowth of the Cranbrook Arena Committee. It operated from January 12, 1957 until 1982. It was designed and constructed by Chas. R. Beltz and Company, Cronk and Tocco, The Garrison Company, and the W.J. Stewart companies, to resemble the Williams College facility. In addition to overseeing all aspects of the ice rink operations, the club provided skating for both the public and Cranbrook’s inter-scholastic hockey team six months of the year. Unique...
Dates: 1952 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1980
George Gough Booth Papers
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Stephen Farr Booth Papers
Abstract Stephen “Steve” Farr Booth was the eldest son of Henry Scripps and Carolyn Farr Booth, and grandson of Cranbrook founders, George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth. He graduated from Cranbrook School in 1943 and attended Purdue University. He served as an aviation cadet in the U.S. Army Air Corps during the Second World War, from 1943 to 1945. During the 1950s, he became a journalist and an editor for the Pontiac Daily Press and later a publicity manager at WWJ TV & Radio, Detroit, Michigan....
Dates: 1939 - 2009
CCC By-laws, 1964 - 1979
File — Container: Box 7, Folder: 18
Collection Scope From the Collection: SERIES I: Administration (1927-1995) documents the administrative and financial activities of the church over time. This series contains two subseries:Subseries 1: Governance and which contains annual reports and bylaws.Subseries 2: Financial which contains a large number of reports that provide a clear picture of Christ Church Cranbrook’s fiscal health over time. SERIES II: Building and Grounds (1926-1999) consists of two subseries: Subseries...
Dates: 1964 - 1979
Christ Church Cranbrook Records
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Cranbrook Academy of Art Administration Records
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Cranbrook Academy of Art Exhibition Publications
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. The collection holds a year-by-year...
Dates: 1930 - 1999
Cranbrook Academy of Art President's Office: Roy Slade Records
Abstract Roy Slade was President of Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) and Director of the Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM) from 1977-1995. During his tenure, Saarinen House was restored, DeSalle Auditorium was constructed, the permanent collection of the Art Museum was developed, the New Studios building was planned, and new CAA faculty and staff were hired. Records from his office provide a comprehensive look at CAA, including meeting minutes, planning documents, correspondence with alumni/ae, and...
Dates: 1974 - 1995
Cranbrook Academy of Art Student News Publications
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. This collection contains publications such...
Dates: 1931 - 1999
Cranbrook Academy of Art Women's Committee
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006