Cranbrook Academy of Art Exhibition Publications
This collection is a group of printed exhibition materials produced by the Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) and to a lesser degree the Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum (CAAM), known today as the Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM). It includes a year-by-year gathering of most of the CAAM and CAM exhibitions and sales from 1930 to 1999. These include annual student exhibits, works by faculty and alumni, traveling exhibits and some lectures. Folder 1 contains a brief list of all exhibits by year from 1940-1981. It is recommended to check this list for exhibit titles even though the collection does not contain a brochure from every exhibit listed. Formats included in this collection are primarily exhibit brochures, flyers, announcements and invitations. Box 3:12 contains slides of the exhibit Survey.
- 1930 - 1999
- Cranbrook Academy of Art (Organization)
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.
In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. These artists-in-residence would contribute to the aesthetic development of the Cranbrook community. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. In 1933, the Foundation Board of Trustees allowed the daytoday operations of the Academy to be administered by the Academy of Art President and an Executive Secretary. In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an autonomous educational, policy-making and administrative unit. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library.
Frank Leonard Allen was engaged by the Cranbrook Foundation as the Director of Art Education (1930-1932) to serve as an advisor related to the art work carried on by all of the Cranbrook schools. On 16 Jun 1932, he tendered his resignation and on the same day, the Foundation created the office of the President of the Academy of Art. The Board of Trustees elected Eliel Saarinen as the first President (1932-1946). Saarinen was also head of the Cranbrook Architectural Office, chief architect for most of Cranbrook’s institutional buildings through 1942, and head of the Academy’s Department of Architecture. Saarinen was assisted by an Executive Secretary, Richard Raseman (1932-1941), who was solely responsible for the administration of the Academy. Raseman was instrumental in shepherding the proposal for the Academy to become incorporated as a separate educational institution.
Saarinen was succeeded by Zoltan Sepeshy, who became the Director of the Academy of Art (194659) and was then elected President (195966). Glen Paulsen, head of the Architecture Department, succeeded Sepeshy (1966-1971). In 1971, Paulsen was replaced by Wallace Mitchell who had been a student at the Academy, a painting instructor (1936-1954), Registrar of the Academy (1944-1958), and Director of the Cranbrook Academy of Art Galleries (1954-1971).
3.8 Linear Feet ((9 MS), 13 OS items)
Language of Materials
In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. In 1942, the Museum and Library were opened. The Art Museum was intended not only to house artworks acquired from George G. Booth through the Cranbrook Foundation, but also to serve as a teaching tool through its permanent collections and exhibitions in both the museum and the library. The collection holds a year-by-year gathering of most of the Art Museum exhibitions and sales from 1930 to 1999. These include student, faculty, alumni, and traveling exhibits, and some lectures. Formats included in this collection are primarily exhibit brochures, flyers, announcements, invitations, and slides.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
An index to the collection is available.
This material was transferred from various storage areas throughout Cranbrook, including the Cranbrook Academy of Art offices.
Box 1, folders 2-5 have been removed to Cranbrook Foundation Records.
Initial processing by Ryan Wieber, 1998. Final processing and finding aid updated in November 2002 by Leslie S. Edwards.
- Guide to the Cranbrook Academy of Art Exhibition Publications
- Original finding aid written by Ryan Wieber.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Resource record created by Nichole L. Manlove.
- 2002: Collection reprocessed and finding aid revised by Leslie S. Edwards.
Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository