- Existence: 1908 - 1998
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Margaret Elleanor Biggar was a metalworker and teacher, working out of her own studio in Fairhope, Alabama, for most of her career. From 1929-1931, Biggar assisted renowned English metalsmith, Arthur Nevill Kirk, at the Cranbrook Academy of Art as a paid apprentice, working primarily as the polisher. In July 1939, Biggar and her partner, Eloise Hooker, set up their first “metalcraft” studio in which they taught classes in working silver, copper and brass. Their classes and studio were...
Dates: 1929 - 1973
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life and...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook personalities,...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
File — Container: Box 43, Folder: 6
Collection Scope From the Collection: Series I. Administrative (1927-1973): Included here is correspondence (both outgoing and incoming) from George G. Booth (chairman of the Foundation from 1927-1949), from Executive Directors, Harry S. Booth and Edward Lerchen, and with the Trustees. Also included are the minutes of the meetings of the Trustees, as well as correspondence regarding various members of the Foundation staff, including the Secretary and the educational consultant. Subseries 4: Office Administration has been arranged...
Dates: 1965 - 1972
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the State...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract The Founders' Award recognizes those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on October 26, 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address,...
Dates: 1928 - 1993
Abstract In 1900, George Gough Booth established the Cranbrook Press at the Detroit Evening News building. The enterprise lasted only two years, but it was later revived at Cranbrook in 1930. The Print Shop was headed by Edward Alonzo Miller, a well-known typographer, and Jean Eschmann, a bookbinder of high repute, and already employed by Booth, provided fine leather bindings. The first volume produced by Miller and Eschmann was a service book for the Festival of Gifts at Cranbrook Church. The...
Dates: 1929 - 1975
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
File — Box: 19, Folder: 9
Collection Scope From the Collection: SERIES I: Biographical (1864-1969) contains materials related to the life of George Gough Booth and includes personal legal documents, typescripts of talks by Booth and several typescripts of Cyril Players' George Gough Booth of Cranbrook. SERIES II: Newspaper (1887-1959) contains documents relating to George G. Booth's tenure at The Detroit News, and his role, as chairman and later president of the Booth Publishing Co. SERIES III: General Correspondence (1813-1957)...