Skip to main content

Cranbrook Founders’ Day Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1996-09

Collection Scope

The collection contains all documents related to each year’s award. These include invitations, programs, lists of special awards, address lists, correspondence, financial documentation, and the addresses (speeches) made the day of the award.

Dates

  • 1928 - 1993

Creator

Access

Access to the collection is unrestricted.

Use

Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.

History

The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on 26 Oct 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address, “Education in the New Renaissance”, was given by Oscar J. Campbell, Professor of English at UM.

There is no further recording of a Founders’ Day celebration until the year 1947, when an inauguration of Founders’ Day was held in honor of George and Ellen Booth on the occasion of their 60th anniversary of their marriage on 1 Jun 1947. Due to the ill health of both George and Ellen Booth the following spring, the anniversary was ignored. After George Booth’s death, however, it was decided to regularly celebrate but on the third

Sunday in May rather than later when the Academy term might be over and students in the schools would be involved in examinations.

On 18 May 1949, a tea was held at Cranbrook House and this format of Founders’ Day continued through 1953. In Jun 1950, the Kingswood Graduating Class donated a “Founders Plaque,” designed by Marshall Fredericks, in memory of George and Ellen Booth. On Founders Day in 1952, a plaque was dedicated to Walter Nichols, placed at the Lone Pine entrance gates to the Art Museum, and the entrance was renamed “Nichols Gate.” In 1954, the Founders’ Day celebration included a service in Christ Church Cranbrook rededicating the six institutions founded by George and Ellen Booth.

In 1955, the first Founders’ Day medal was struck for the purpose of recognizing those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The medal was designed by Marshall M. Fredericks and fabricated at the Medallic Art Company. The Founders’ Day Award continued until 1989, however no medal award was given in 1959 as the Founders’ Day ceremonies celebrated the anniversary of the wedding of George and Ellen Booth.

On 6 Jun 1962, the Trustees of the Cranbrook Foundation approved the Founders Medal Award Policy. Particular consideration was to be made to those individuals who have benefited more than one of the Cranbrook institutions. It was to be awarded in recognition of the individual’s contribution to the community, not financial support. In 1975, the CEC Board of Trustees approved the continuance of the Founders Medal to those who have rendered outstanding service to Cranbrook. In May 1976, at the suggestion of Arthur Kiendl, CEC President, Founders’ Day was combined with the Schools Baccalaureate services. In addition, Henry S. Booth unveiled the reopening of the Still Room Window with a painting by academy student Gregory High.

From 1976, a tea was held at Cranbrook House celebrating Founders’ Day and co-celebrating the Baccalaureate service of Cranbrook/Kingswood. No medals were awarded from 1977-1980. In 1980, a Founders Society brunch was also held the same day. In 1989, the format of Founders’ Day changed again to an evening dinner in the month of October, separate from baccalaureate celebration and became known as the Founders Dinner.

Extent

.8 Linear Feet (2 MS)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Founders' Award recognizes those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on October 26, 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address, “Education in the New Renaissance”, was given by Oscar J. Campbell, Professor of English at UM. There is no further recording of a Founders’ Day celebration until the year 1947, when an inauguration of Founders’ Day was held in honor of George and Ellen Booth on the 60th anniversary of their marriage on June 1, 1947. After George Booth’s death in 1949, it was decided to create an annual celebration of the Founders' Day Award, beginning with a tea at Cranbrook House on May 18, 1949. In 1955, the first Founders’ Day medal, designed by Marshall M. Fredericks, was struck and fabricated at the Medallic Art Company. This collection holds the records of the award continuously from 1928 through 1993, the years that are missing are years upon which the ceremony was not held for various reasons. The collection includes invitations, programs, lists of special awards, address lists, correspondence, financial documentation, and the addresses made the day of the award.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged chronologically.

Acquisition

Transferred from the Administrative Offices of Cranbrook Educational Community. Additional records were added from Henry Scripps Booth Papers and the Cranbrook Foundation Records.

Related Materials

Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth Papers (1982-05)

Lee A. White Papers (1979-02)

Christ Church Cranbrook Records (1992-01)

Transfers

Photographs were removed to Photograph Special Files.

Processing History

Processed by Ethel McNaughton, 1996. The collection was indexed and updated in April 2005 by Leslie S. Edwards.
Title
Guide to the Cranbrook Founders’ Day Records
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid written by Ethel McNaughton.
Date
1996
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Edition statement
Resource record created by Laura MacNewman.

Revision Statements

  • April 2005: Indexed and updated by Leslie S. Edwards.

Repository Details

Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository

Contact:
39221 Woodward Ave.
P.O. Box 801
Bloomfield Hills MI 48303 US