Marquis, Samuel S., 1866-1948
- Existence: 1866 - 1948
Found in 32 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The collection documents the life and work of George Gough Booth, a renowned advocate of the arts, and a great philanthropist whose crowning achievement was the establishment of Cranbrook Educational Community. He was also one of the nation's leading newspapermen in the first half of this century. It includes biographical materials including legal documents, travel itineraries, talks and writings, and the financial and business records of the Cranbrook Press. It documents his working life...
Dates: 1864 - 1949
Abstract Kate Agnes Thompson married Frank Latham Bromley on May 2, 1900, in Detroit. They moved to Bloomfield Hills and, as neighbors, became ensconced in the Cranbrook community. Kate’s personal interests centered in the arts, and she became very good friends with Carl and Olga Milles, as well as with other Cranbrook personalities. The collection consists of photocopies of excerpts from the diaries of Kate Thompson Bromley. The diary entries document Bromley’s association with Cranbrook...
Dates: 1916 - 1955
File — Container: Box 32, Folder: 14
Collection Scope From the Collection: Series I: General Correspondence (1909-1988) contains correspondence between Henry and Carolyn Booth and their family and friends in the period 1909-1988. Important subjects in this series include the following: Asheville School 1913-1918; University of Michigan 1918-1924; Travels in Europe by Henry Scripps Booth and J. Robert F. Swanson during the period July 1922 - May 1923. Correspondence between Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth; Travels by George Gough Booth and Ellen Warren...
Dates: 1941 - 1987
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
File — Container: Box 2, Folder: 2
Collection Scope From the Collection: This collection contains Cranbrook School records from its establishment in 1927 until its merger with Kingwood School in 1985. SERIES I: Governance (1926-1973). The Board of Trustees Subseries contains legal instruments, Bylaws and correspondence relating to the foundation and opening of Cranbrook School. It also contains minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Directors Subseries contains Bylaws and materials relating to the organization of governance...
Abstract Doris Corbett was a history professor and well-known singer and ballad composer, teaching and performing throughout the United States and Canada. While pursuing her doctorate in history, Ms. Corbett’s research brought her to Cranbrook to study the Arts & Crafts movement, Ellen Scripps Booth, and Nellie Beveridge Gray. The bulk of the collection consists of Ms. Corbett’s research of Ellen Scripps Booth and Nellie Beveridge Gray. Of particular note are the transcripts of the oral histories...
Dates: Circa 1873-1989
Abstract William Alley Frayer had over a thirty-year careeer as a historian, teaching at both Cornell University and University of Michigan before Cranbrook Board of Trustees hired him as Executive Secretary of the Foundation in 1935. Frayer worked closely with chairman George Booth, daily discussing matters of general Cranbrook concern. Upon Frayer's retirement in 1938, Booth and Frayer decided to close the office of Executive Secretary. Frayer returned to Ann Arbor and died June 29, 1946, at the...
Dates: 1935 - 1938
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract The Founders' Award recognizes those who have made a special contribution to Cranbrook. The first Founders’ Day Celebration was held at Cranbrook School on October 26, 1928. After dinner at the school, George Gough Booth made an address to the student body, formally conveying the school buildings to them, and speaking of citizenship. He also made a presentation to the school of Rembrandt Peale’s portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the lobby of the Commons. The formal address,...
Dates: 1928 - 1993
Abstract Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19,...
Dates: 1927 - 1985