Cranbrook School Records
This collection contains Cranbrook School records from its establishment in 1927 until its merger with Kingwood School in 1985.
SERIES I: Governance (1926-1973). The Board of Trustees Subseries contains legal instruments, Bylaws and correspondence relating to the foundation and opening of Cranbrook School. It also contains minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Directors Subseries contains Bylaws and materials relating to the organization of governance committees, and minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Board of Directors. These minutes were recorded together and necessarily arranged as one unit.
SERIES II: Administration (1929-1983)
SERIES III: Financial (1926-1980) contains correspondence and reports.
SERIES IV: Headmaster’s Office (1944-1995)
SERIES V: Faculty (1928-1993) contains records from Committees for planning and directing the departments.
SERIES VI: Curricular (1937-1984) contains records for the classes and curriculum planning.
SERIES VII: Student Life (1930-1988)
SERIES VIII: Alumni Relations (1936-1989) contains awards, correspondence, events and minutes.
SERIES IX: Auxiliary (1962-1981)
SERIES X: Buildings and Grounds (1927-1985) contains architectural plans and specifications, correspondence, dedications, and rental correspondence with external organizations using the building for conferences.
SERIES XI: Writings (1934-1965) contains materials collected by Carlton MacLean on the arts of Cranbrook School, and ‘The History of Cranbrook School,’ a thesis by Van Antwerp.
SERIES XII: Publications (1927-1986) contains catalogs, student directories and student handbooks.
SERIES XIII: Oversize (1929-1977) contains student organization minutes, photo albums, guest books, brochures and musical compositions by Harvey Croze.
- 1927 - 1985
- Cranbrook School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) (Organization)
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.
Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards. The Board of Directors oversees the management of the school and the care of its buildings and grounds. The Advisory Board comprised of the Bishop of the Diocese of Michigan, an educator of high standing, and a layman of position in art, law, medicine, or business. The original Advisory Board personnel were Rt. Rev. Herman Page, Dr. Clarence Cook Little, and Mr. George G. Booth until 1933. The Board of Trustees was to have seven members, four of which were to be members of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
Between 1912 and 1918, a small secular private school, named ‘Bloomfield Hills School’ had operated but closed following the war due to a decline in enrolment. When the Meeting House was erected 1918 for Sunday services, an addition was made with facilities for 75 children for a Sunday School. The construction of Christ Church Cranbrook included plans for a Church school including boarding capacity, although by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion.
Booth created a preliminary sketch for the school building, which was designed by architect Eliel Saarinen with sculptural ornaments designed by Professor Geza Marȏti of Budapest. When it opened on September 19, 1927, the school comprised of an academic building with an auditorium, classrooms, gymnasium, dining hall, infirmary, administrative offices, and a junior dormitory (later renamed Marquis Hall). While it had a capacity of 200, it accepted no more than 75 pupils in its opening term. William Oliver Stevens was the first Headmaster of Cranbrook School. The original faculty were Arthur Kiernan (Mathematics), Charles J. Keppel (Science and Mathematics), Herbert Snyder (History and German), John M. Harlow (French), C. Warren Moore (Arts and Crafts), Howard E. Yule (Latin and French), George T. Nickerson (English), and Rev. S.S. Marquis (Bible Study). Other personnel included Margaret Fraser (Librarian), Harold Riche Roehm (Physician), Elsie C. Hudson (Nurse), Elizabeth G. Walker (Hostess).
In 1973, the Cranbrook administration reorganized, establishing an educational community with three divisions: Academy of Art, Institute of Science, and Schools. Although each school retained a Headmistress or Headmaster, common administrative services governed them. In 1985, Cranbrook School and Kingswood School merged to become the co-educational Cranbrook Kingswood Upper School. The Kingswood campus now hosts all Upper School English, history, and visual arts classes, while foreign languages, science, math, religion, and performing arts are taught at the Cranbrook campus. Cranbrook Middle School, referred to as a, “school within a school,” remains single sex, with the Girls Middle School occupying the lower level of the Kingswood School building, and the Boys Middle School at the Vaughan Campus.
Headmasters of Cranbrook School:
1927-1935: William Oliver Stevens
1935-1937: George T. Nickerson (Acting Headmaster)
1937-1944: Rudolph D. Lindquist
1943-1944: Charles H. Cadigan (Acting Headmaster)
1944-1950: W. Brooke Stabler
1950-1964: Harry D. Hoey
1964-1971: Robert M. Sandoe
1972-1979: Christopher Corkery
1979-1987: Samuel A. Salas
32.6 Linear Feet (57 MS, 6 OS)
Language of Materials
Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19, 1927, the school for boys comprised of an academic building with an auditorium, classrooms, gymnasium, dining hall, infirmary, administrative offices, and a junior dormitory (later renamed Marquis Hall). In 1985, Cranbrook School and Kingswood School (a separate school for girls) merged to become the co-educational Cranbrook Kingswood School. This collection contains Cranbrook School records from its establishment in 1927 until its merger with Kingwood School in 1985. It documents the governance of the school; its administration and financial operation; the Headmaster's Office activities; faculty records; curriculum and student life; alumni activities; Auxiliary groups activities; and the school buildings and grounds. This collection also contains writings by Carlton MacLean, and a thesis of the history of the school, and there is an extensive run of school publications, including catalogs, directories, and handbooks.
The collection is arranged into thirteen series. All arrangements are alphanumeric except oversize materials.
I. GOVERNANCE (boxes 1-6) includes two subseries: 1. Board of Trustees 2. Board of Governors
II.ADMINISTRATION (boxes 7-11) includes six subseries: 1. Legal 2. Committees 3. Correspondence 4. Reports 5. Policy 6. Services
III. FINANCIAL (boxes 11-17) includes seven subseries: 1. Appraisals 2. Fundraising 3. Grants 4. Memorial Funds 5. Planning 6. Scholarships 7. Trusts IV. HEADMASTER’S OFFICE (boxes 18-25) includes seven subseries: 1. Admissions 2. Associations 3. Committees 4. Conferences 5. Correspondence 6. Newsletters 7. Reports V. FACULTY (box 26)
VI. CURRICULAR (boxes 26-28)
VII. STUDENT LIFE (boxes 28-34) includes five subseries: 1. Athletics 2. Clubs 3. Commencement 4. Events 5. Programs VIII. ALUMNI RELATIONS (boxes 35-40)
IX. AUXILIARY (boxes 40-41) includes two subseries: 1. Dads' Club 2. Mothers' Club X. BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS (boxes 41-44)
XI. WRITINGS (boxes 44-45)
XII. PUBLICATIONS (boxes 45-50)
XIII. OVERSIZE (box 51-56) is arranged by size.
The collection was received through many small accessions over several years.
Pre-processed by Amy ... in 2001; Processed by Laura MacNewman, 2018.
- Architecture, Domestic
- Booth, George G. (George Gough), 1864-1949
- Corkery, Christopher
- Coulter, Bruce
- Croze, Harvey
- Emrich, Richard S. M. (Richard Stanley Merrill), 1910-
- Hoey, Harry D. (1904-1995)
- Maroti, Geza
- Marquis, Samuel S., 1866-1948
- Saarinen, Eliel, 1873-1950
- Salas, Samuel A.
- Stabler, W. Brooke
- Stevens, William Oliver, 1878-1955
- White, Lee A., 1886-
- Cranbrook School (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) (Organization)
- Guide to the Cranbrook School Records
- Finding aid written by Laura MacNewman.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Resource record created by Laura MacNewman.
Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository