Cranbrook Music Guild Records
SERIES I: Administrative (1951-2004) contains records relating to the beginning of the CMG, its history and structure. This series includes the Cranbrook Music Guild constitution and by-laws and includes CMG contracts with musicians and groups, financial data and reports, and membership information. It presents an overview of the development of the CMG seasons and insight into the CMG budget. Notes on board meetings, meeting agendas, and official meeting minutes are found in this series including ledgers which contain organizational meeting information. Materials relative to special projects, including committees and grants, are also located in this series. Cranbrook Festival origins, budget, meeting minutes, and its dissolution are contained in here as well.
SERIES II: Correspondence (1950-2001) contains general guild correspondence and correspondence specific to the Cranbrook Festival. Festival correspondence covering the mid 1960’s through 1980.
SERIES III: Events And Programs (1950-2007) includes newspaper clippings (1950’s and into the 2000’s), published programs and related materials for the various events associated with CMG seasons and Cranbrook Festivals as well as press releases and biographical materials on performers.
SERIES IV: Oversized (n.d.) holds a large scrapbook, several small posters and two name tags.
SERIES V: Photographs (1967-1991, n.d.) contains both publicity photos of individual artists and photos of events.
- 1950 - 2007
- Majority of material found within 1960 - 1990
- Booth, Henry Scripps, 1897-1988 (Person)
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.
Early in 1951, a dinner party was held at the home of John Coulter. Two guests, Dr. Maurice Garabrant and Mrs. Betty Brewster, enthusiastically discussed how the beauty of the Cranbrook properties would be a wonderful setting for a music festival. Garabrant had recently come to Christ Church Cranbrook as Organist and Choir Master.
Brewster and Garabrant brought together several music lovers to form a committee in order to organize a concert at the Cranbrook Greek Theater. Henry S. Booth, son of Cranbrook founders George and Ellen Booth, was one of the original eleven members of this committee, which produced the first Cranbrook Festival concert performance on June 10, 1951. The concert was such a success that the patrons of the event urged the committee members to continue their efforts and bring more “fine music” to Cranbrook.
During the months that followed, the committee met to discuss the formulation of a more structured organization. On February 11, 1952, approximately thirty people met for dinner at "Valhalla", home of Mr. and Mrs. John Graham, to adopt the Cranbrook Music Guild constitution and by-laws. This organization promoted fine music at Cranbrook, and provided scholarships and performance opportunities for young artists. Its objective was: (l) to provide "high quality programs of all types of music and related arts at Cranbrook in their most appropriate settings; (2) to provide knowledge and appreciation of music and related arts by the people of the community and the students of Cranbrook in particular; (3) the writing and performance of new music and related arts at Cranbrook and elsewhere; (4) the development of high caliber performers of all branches of music and related arts and the most effective use of their talents throughout life."
The Cranbrook Music Guild steadily grew and thrived through the 1960’s. They sponsored the “Bach at Cranbrook” festival in 1966 which became an annual event. The festival was a three day series of concerts in May separate from the rest of the concert season. The running of this festival was entrusted to an independent committee. In 1970 the “Bach at Cranbrook” festival became known as the “Cranbrook Festival” and was eventually dissolved in 1979. Cranbrook Music Guild memberships declined during the 1970’s and into the 1990’s. However, there was a resurgence of membership in the early 2000’s.
The Cranbrook Music Guild currently sponsors several concerts of chamber music for its members during annual seasons which run from October to May. As of 2011, the Cranbrook Music Guild is still in operation. It has worked to bring talented musicians to Cranbrook to perform beautiful chamber music for well over 50 years. The guild is a non-profit organization governed by a president and a board of trustees.
7.7 Linear Feet (6 MS, 1 OS )
Language of Materials
Dr. Maurice Garabrant, Christ Church Cranbrook Organist and Choir Master, and Mrs. Betty Brewster formed a committee of music lovers in order to organize a concert at the Cranbrook Greek Theater. Henry S. Booth, son of Cranbrook founders George and Ellen Booth, was one of the original eleven members of this committee, which produced the first Cranbrook Festival concert performance on June 10, 1951. The concert was such a success that the committee formalized in 1952 as the Cranbrook Music Guild, promoting fine music at Cranbrook and providing scholarships and performance opportunities for young artists. Steadily growing and thriving through the 1960’s, they sponsored events such as the annual “Bach at Cranbrook” festival, which later became the “Cranbrook Festival.” While Cranbrook Music Guild memberships declined between the 1970’s and the 1990’s, there was a resurgence of membership in the early 2000’s. The Cranbrook Music Guild, as of 2020, sponsors several concerts of chamber music for its members during annual seasons which run from October to May. The records of the Cranbrook Music Guild (CMG) include administrative records documenting its history and structure, contracts, financial reports, minutes, and special projects. It also includes correspondence related to the guild generally and the Cranbrook Festival, newspaper clippings and published programs, a large scrapbook, small posters, realia, and photographs.
The records of the Cranbrook Music Guild (CMG) are divided into the following series and arranged alphabetically: SERIES I: Administrative (Boxes 1-3); SERIES II: Correspondence (Box 4); SERIES III: Events And Programs (Box 5); SERIES IV: Oversized (Box 6) holds a large scrapbook, several small posters and two name tags; SERIES V: Photographs (Box 7) contains both publicity photos of individual artists and photos of events.
SERIES II: Correspondence is divided by type of correspondence and arranged chronologically.
Transferred from the Cranbrook Music Guild in August 1989. Additional records added in 1995 and 2005.
A small number of negatives and transparencies were added to the CEC Collection (CEC 5934-CEC 5941).
Processed by Holly Clarke, April 2011.
- Guide to the Cranbrook Music Guild Records
- Finding aid written by Holly Clarke.
- April 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Resource record created by Laura MacNewman.
Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository