Skip to main content

Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies Records

 Collection
Identifier: 1979-05

Collection Scope

Series I: Administration (1958-1979) contains Board of Trustee and Executive Committee minutes

Series II: Financial (1962-1980) includes annual statements and monthly reports

Series III: Publications (1958-1981) contains brochures and newsletters

Series IV: Public Relations (1957-1974) contains news clippings and press releases.

Dates

  • 1957 - 1981

Creator

Access

Access to the collection is unrestricted.

Use

Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.

History

The Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders. Bishop Emrich, Bishop of the Diocese of Michigan, suggested Cranbrook House as a location and the Institute began leasing the upper floors of Cranbrook House in 1957. Realizing the challenges of being a spiritual leader in the twentieth century, the Institute hoped to create a place where clergy and ministers could share ideas and work together with a view to integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. The Institute sponsored seminars and conferences of Protestant, Catholic and Jewish religious leaders. Founder Dr. Reuel L. Howe served as Director until 1973. He was succeeded by Dr. John E. Biersdorf. The Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies eventually moved to another location.

Extent

.8 Linear Feet (2 MS)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Institute of Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E. Biersdorf. The collection contains administrative materials, predominantly Board of Trustees meeting minutes pertaining to the management of the Institute. It includes financial reports that record the financial challenges of the Institute. The collection also includes clippings and ephemera.

Arrangement

The collection is divided into four series all arranged alphanumerically: Administration; Financial; Publications; and Public Relations.

Acquisition

Gift of Max Fruhauf.

Related Materials

Cranbrook Foundation Records (1981-05)

Henry Scripps and Carolyn Farr Booth Papers (1982-05)

Processing History

Processed by Chris Frey, 2000; reprocessed by Laura MacNewman, 2017
Title
Guide to the Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies Records
Status
Completed
Author
Chris Frey
Date
2000
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Edition statement
Resource record created by Laura MacNewman

Revision Statements

  • 2017: Reprocessed by Laura MacNewman

Repository Details

Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository

Contact:
39221 Woodward Ave.
P.O. Box 801
Bloomfield Hills MI 48303 US