Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Henry Scripps Booth and Carolyn Farr Booth, lovers of art, music, and travel, were lifelong advocates of Cranbrook, dedicated to its development, both physically and organizationally. Henry (1897-1988) was the fourth child of the founders of Cranbrook, George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. Carolyn (1902-1984) was the daughter of Merton E. Farr, president of the American Shipbuilding Company. While an architecture student at the University of Michigan, Henry helped his father design the...
Dates: 1897 - 1988; Majority of material found within 1909 - 1988
Abstract Henry Wood Booth, husband to Clara Louise Irene Gagnier, and father of Cranbrook Founder George Gough Booth, was an English emigrant. Active in temperance work, he was also an inventor, writer, and speaker at many Detroit area churches. Published in several news and temperance papers, including a religious page in the Detroit News, for a short period he even operated the Sunday Times in Toronto. As an inventor, Henry Wood Booth received a United States patents commission during the years...
Dates: 1814 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1882 - 1930
Abstract In 1923, George Gough Booth wrote to the Rev. Samuel Simpson Marquis with his ideas for building an Episcopal church and school on the Cranbrook estate to serve the needs of the growing Bloomfield Hills community. Booth would fund the construction of the church and provide an endowment for its maintenance. After obtaining the agreement of Bishop Herman Page, hiring and architect and a contractor, a groundbreaking ceremony took place on July 5, 1925. Christ Church Cranbrook was consecrated on...
Dates: 1923 - 2002
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract Cranbrook School was established by a Trust Indenture on 15 January 1926 to, “provide for the moral and religious education of the youth committed to its care,” under the supervision of three governing boards: the Board of Directors, the Advisory Board, and the Board of Trustees. Originally conceived as a Church school of Christ Church Cranbrook by September of 1924, George Booth had decided that the school should have a separate site to allow for expansion. When it opened on September 19,...
Dates: 1927 - 1985
Abstract The Institute for Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E....
Dates: 1957 - 1981
Abstract Clarence Oliver LaGrone was the first African-American student at the Cranbrook Academy of Art, where he studied with Carl Milles starting in the fall of 1941. Upon completing his studies at Cranbrook, Oliver worked a variety of jobs in order to support his family, including at the Ford Rouge Plant. During the McCarthy era, when Oliver refused to inform on his “communist” contacts in the art world, particularly Paul Robeson, he lost his UAW job. He returned to school, earning the equivalent...
Dates: 1942 - 1995
Abstract Edmund William Pratt was the grandson of Henry Wood and Clara Gagnier Booth, the son of Adeline Clara Louise Booth and William Austin Pratt. The Pratts were a well-established Detroit family long before the Booth family arrived in the 1880’s. Cranbrook quickly became a part of young Edmund’s life and his family made frequest excursions from Detroit to Bloomfield Hills, spending much of his childhood and adolescence on the Cranbrook grounds. Pratt became an illuminating engineer for Detroit...
Dates: 1947 - 1997
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958