Cranbrook Educational Community Board of Trustees Records
SERIES I: Cranbrook Educational Community Documents (1973-1990) contains incorporation documentation, by-laws drafts, minutes, financial statements, and operating plans. SERIES II: Pre-Meeting Packets (1983-1999) contains informational packets sent to each trustee in preparation for the Board meetings. These packets contain agendas, minutes of previous meetings, reports from various Board of Trustee committees and from the heads of the various CEC divisions and administrative officers. SERIES III: Standing and Ad Hoc Committees (1971-1994) contains minutes and correspondence relating to the activities of the various committees of the Board of Trustees. SERIES IV: Trustee Manual (1985-1992) contains copies of the manuals.
- 1971 - 1999
The most recent ten years of this collection are closed to research unless special permission is obtained from the archivist.
Permission to use collection materials must be requested in writing.
The Cranbrook Board of Trustees was created in 1927 as the main authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was a trust and administrative entity established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the following Cranbrook institutions: Brookside School (1922); Cranbrook School (1927); Christ Church Cranbrook (1928); Cranbrook Institute of Science (1930); Kingswood School (1931); and Cranbrook Academy of Art (1932). In the 1970s, a massive reorganization of Cranbrook occurred, culminating in the creation of the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC). Under the terms of the agreement creating the CEC, the Cranbrook Foundation ceased to exist and all assets, those pertaining to both the institutions and to the Foundation, were transferred to a new Community trust. The Articles of Incorporation of the CEC called for the Community to be comprised of three divisions--Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Schools--each headed by a chief officer who, in consultation with a divisional board of governors, would report to the administrative officer of the CEC, the President. In turn, the President would report to the highest authority at Cranbrook, the Board of Trustees of the Cranbrook Educational Community. Christ Church Cranbrook was excluded from the new organization, as it was felt by both the members of the Vestry and the officers of Cranbrook that separation was best for both the CEC and the church. Although the CEC was incorporated under these terms in 1973, differences in the interpretation of this model continued to cloud issues relative to the governing authority of Cranbrook for years.
6.3 Linear Feet (18 MS)
Language of Materials
Created in 1927, the Cranbrook Board of Trustees was the primary authority of the Cranbrook Foundation, which was established by George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth to endow and support the Brookside School, Cranbrook School, Kingswood School, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Academy of Art. In the 1970s, the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) was established, and as a result, the Foundation was liquidated, and Christ Church Cranbrook became an independent entity. The CEC comprised Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, and Cranbrook Schools, each headed by a Chief Officer who reports to the President of the CEC, who in turn reports to the Board of Trustees. The collection contains materials reflecting the establishment of the CEC including operational and organizational records; Board meeting information packets; minutes and correspondence pertaining to Board committees; and Trustee manuals.
The collection has been divided into four series: Cranbrook Educational Community Documents (Boxes 1-2); Pre-Meeting Packets (Boxes 3-12); Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees (Boxes 13-17); and Trustee Manuals (Box 18).
SERIES I: Cranbrook Educational Community Documents, SERIES II: Pre-Meeting Packets, and SERIES IV: Trustee Manuals are organized chronologically.
SERIES III: Standing and Ad Hoc Committees is organized chronologically, and by committee.
This collection was transferred from the Office of the Assistant to the President in January, 1990.
From 1988-1993, packets of “selected examples of media coverage” were also included in the pre-meeting packets. These were removed and are now a part of the Archives’ collection of scrapbooks housed in the Reading Room. The Cranbrook Foundation records were removed from the collection and transferred to accession 1981-05.
Initial inventory by Carolyn Texley, 1989. Initial processing by James M. Luzenski, 1990. Reprocessed by William Landis, 1995, and final processing and finding aid updated by Leslie S. Edwards, November 2002.
- Guide to the Cranbrook Educational Community Board of Trustees Records
- Original finding aid written by James M. Luzenski
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- Resource record created by Nichole L. Manlove.
- 1995: Collection updated and finding aid revised by William Landis
- 2002: Collection updated and finding aid revised by Leslie S. Edwards.
Part of the Cranbrook Archives, Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research Repository