Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1927 George G. Booth established the Cranbrook Academy of Art as an educational environment where students could come and learn from master artists in residence. The Academy functioned as a department under the Cranbrook Foundation and included painting, architecture, sculpture, ceramics and decorative design. The first Academy students were taken in early 1930. Eliel Saarinen was the first President (1932-1946). In 1942, with the opening of the Museum and Library, the Academy became an...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1942 - 1973
Abstract The records were created and maintained by Diane Shane Stupka, the assistant to the President of the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC) from 1981 to 1987. The collection contains records regarding the Board of Trustees and their committees, the different divisions of the CEC and their committees, and other groups related to Cranbrook. Some items from the Cranbrook Foundation era (1927-73) are included, but the majority of the collection deals with the reorganization of the Cranbrook...
Dates: 1942 - 1991
Abstract The Cranbrook Foundation was established on November 28, 1927, by George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth. It was a trust and administrative entity to endow and support the six institutions that George and Ellen had founded: Brookside School Cranbrook, Christ Church Cranbrook, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Cranbrook Institute of Science, Cranbrook School, and Kingswood School Cranbrook. It's initial mission was, "to add to and strengthen the educational and cultural facilities within the...
Dates: 1926 - 1973
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract George H. Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead first published The Birmingham Eccentric on 2 May 1878 in Birmingham, Michigan. The four-page issue was a combination of short personal announcements and advertisements. Although both partners wrote for their paper, Whitehead took on the bulk of the writing duties. Under their leadership the paper thrived. In 1912, the two dissolved their partnership as friends leaving Mitchell as the sole publisher. In July 1919, Fred E. Van Black, a linotype...
Dates: 1930 - 2000
Abstract William Oliver Stevens was headmaster of Cranbrook School from 1927-1935. These documents consist of office records in the form of correspondence, carbon copies, and drafts from William O. Stevens, first headmaster of Cranbrook School. Additionally, there is correspondence after his tenure at Cranbrook, but concerning Cranbrook masters, other employees, and alumni is included. Some black and white photographs are appended to alumni, faculty and student documents. The bulk of the collection...
Dates: 1927 - 1935
Abstract Lee A White was a journalist, working for the Detroit News from 1911 until his retirement in 1952, except between 1914-1917, when he was an associate professor and chairman of the journalism department at the University of Washington. He developed a close relationship with George G. Booth, serving as his Editorial Secretary and, from 1936, he also served as Chief Librarian for the newspaper, and became its first Director of Public Relations. He served as Director of Cranbrook School for 20...
Dates: 1926 - 1958