Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 49 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cranbrook Skating Club began as an outgrowth of the Cranbrook Arena Committee. It operated from January 12, 1957 until 1982. It was designed and constructed by Chas. R. Beltz and Company, Cronk and Tocco, The Garrison Company, and the W.J. Stewart companies, to resemble the Williams College facility. In addition to overseeing all aspects of the ice rink operations, the club provided skating for both the public and Cranbrook’s inter-scholastic hockey team six months of the year. Unique in...
Dates: 1952 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1980
Abstract Ellen Warren Scripps Booth co-founder of Cranbrook with her husband George G. Booth, was eldest daughter of James E. Scripps, founder of the Evening News (later the Detroit News), and Harriet J. Messinger Scripps. As a young woman, Ellen Booth did editorial work for both the Evening News and the Detroit Tribune, which her father purchased in 1891. She was the mother of five children: James S. Booth (1888-1954), Grace E. Booth (1890-1978), Warren S. Booth (1894-1987), Henry S. Booth (1897-1988),...
Dates: 1870 - 1948
Abstract James Scripps Booth, an automobile designer, artist, and philosopher was the eldest son of George Gough Booth and Ellen Scripps Booth born May 31, 1888, in the Trumbull Avenue home of his grandfather James Edmund Scripps, founder and publisher of the Detroit Evening News. He built a prototype of the Bi-Autogo and in 1913 Booth, uncle William J. Scripps and John Batterman formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, manufacturers of small, belt-driven vehicles, the JB Rocket and the Packet....
Dates: 1907 - 1980
Abstract Stephen “Steve” Farr Booth was the eldest son of Henry Scripps and Carolyn Farr Booth, and grandson of Cranbrook founders, George Gough and Ellen Scripps Booth. He graduated from Cranbrook School in 1943 and attended Purdue University. He served as an aviation cadet in the U.S. Army Air Corps during the Second World War, from 1943 to 1945. During the 1950s, he became a journalist and an editor for the Pontiac Daily Press and later a publicity manager at WWJ TV & Radio, Detroit, Michigan....
Dates: 1939 - 2009
Abstract This collection documents a residence that was recently demolished. Designed by architect Robert Harter Snyder in 1955, the Buckner residence was a prime example of mid-century modern architecture in Michigan. Snyder, who was Head of the Architecture Department at the time, was commissioned by a former Kingswood School graduate (Isabel Wolfner Buckner) and her husband, Noel, to design a modernist residence for them on Walnut Lake at 2633 Cove Lane, West Bloomfield Township. The Buckners, who...
Dates: 1941 - 2003
Abstract James Carmel, a National Academy of Design graduate, worked as the Assistant Preparator at Cranbrook Institute of Science from 1939-early 1970s. He shared a suite at the Academy of Art with Harry Bertoia, and became part of the social life of Cranbrook with Carl Milles, Charles and Catherine Eames, Maija Grotell, Marshall Fredericks, Marianne Strengell, Clifford West and Zoltan Sepeshy. The collection reflects mainly his work for the Institute of Science, and to a lesser extent his engagement...
Dates: 1973 - 1998
File — Box 4, Folder: 6
Collection Scope From the Collection: The collection consists chiefly of correspondence, photographs, early writings of Strengell and published works of her father, Gustaf Strengell, textile samples and her work in the Philippines. SERIES I: Personal (1620-1998) contains materials relating to Strengell’s family, specifically several works by her father, Gustaf Strengell, in Finnish. In addition there are notebooks of her early drawings and writings, and an illustrated story written by daughter Sandra Dusenbury at age...
Dates: 1989 - 1992
Abstract Roy Slade was President of Cranbrook Academy of Art (CAA) and Director of the Cranbrook Art Museum (CAM) from 1977-1995. During his tenure, Saarinen House was restored, DeSalle Auditorium was constructed, the permanent collection of the Art Museum was developed, the New Studios building was planned, and new CAA faculty and staff were hired. Records from his office provide a comprehensive look at CAA, including meeting minutes, planning documents, correspondence with alumni/ae, and photographic...
Dates: 1974 - 1995
Abstract The Cranbrook Academy of Arts Women’s Committee was founded on February 11, 1966 as the social arm of the Friends of the Academy (the Museum’s new membership program). The committee’s purpose was to promote and undertake activities and projects that would further the welfare of the Academy and the Museum. Throughout nearly forty years the committee hosted numerous events, programs, and fundraising projects until disbanded in 2002. The bulk of the collection reflects primarly the Women's...
Dates: 1966 - 2006
Abstract Dr. Lillian H. Bauder, former President and Chief Executive Officer for the Cranbrook Educational Community (CEC), developed the Cranbrook Architecture Office. During the years 1984-1996 the Cranbrook Architecture Office was responsible for designing and fabricating additions, repairs, or renovations to the grounds, structures, or buildings of the Cranbrook community. The collection comprises of materials relative to the Brookside school, the Log Jam Arch, the Pedestrian Bridge, Pickle Place,...
Dates: 1992 - 1998