Christ Church Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Cranbrook Institute of Science is a nationally recognized natural history and science museum primarily serving Michigan and the Great Lakes region. It seeks to interest and educate people of all ages about nature, science and humankind through its exhibits, education, collection, research, and public programs. The Institute is a division of Cranbrook Educational Community, beginning, as do all Cranbrook institutions, with the vision and generosity of George Gough Booth. Originally...
Dates: 1920 - 1990
Abstract Dr. Maurice Garabrant, Christ Church Cranbrook Organist and Choir Master, and Mrs. Betty Brewster formed a committee of music lovers in order to organize a concert at the Cranbrook Greek Theater. Henry S. Booth, son of Cranbrook founders George and Ellen Booth, was one of the original eleven members of this committee, which produced the first Cranbrook Festival concert performance on June 10, 1951. The concert was such a success that the committee formalized in 1952 as the Cranbrook Music...
Dates: 1950 - 2007; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1990
Abstract Cranbrook history dates back to 1904 when George and Ellen Booth purchased land in Bloomfield Hills, MI for their home. The next five decades saw the majority of this land transformed into an educational, artistic, and scientific community. In the early 1970s, a major reorganzition created the Cranbrook Educational Community. More than a century later, in 2021, this Community comprises five program areas: Cranbrook Schools, Cranbrook Art Academy, Cranbrook Art Museum, Cranbrook Institute of...
Dates: circa 1830-; Majority of material found within 1931 - 1970
Abstract After various attempts at a school for young children in the area, the Bloomfield Hills School opened in 1922, occupying the Meeting House owned and built by George G. Booth at Lone Pine and Cranbrook Roads. With subsequent building additions by Booth and his son Henry Scripps Booth, the student body likewise grew from eight students in its first year to 101 by 1929. A private co-ed school for students in grades K-6, the school officially became Brookside School Cranbrook in 1930. Undergoing...
Dates: 1922 - 2019; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1999
Abstract Kingswood School Cranbrook was a day and boarding school for girls beginning with the seventh grade and continuing through the twelfth grade. Kingswood School was established through a deed of Trust executed on July 24, 1930, between the Cranbrook Foundation and a Board of Trustees consisting of William T. Barbour, Ralph Stone, Luman W. Goodenough, Alvan Macauley, Clarence H. Booth, James Inglis, and Sidney D. Waldon. The Board selected Gladys Turnbach, of Miss Hall’s School in Pittsfield,...
Dates: 1930 - 1985
Abstract F. Shirley Prouty is the great great-niece of Johannes Kirchmayer. She spent many years researching his life, family history, and artworks. Her research is published in the book Johannes Kirchmayer, 1860-1930: master carver from Germany's passion play village to America's finest sanctuaries. This collection holds the research files for this publication. Johannes Kirchmayer was born in Oberammergau, Bavaria, in 1860 and emigrated to the United States in 1880. He work is predominantly...
Dates: 1873 - 2015; Majority of material found within 1994 - 2015
Abstract Jeanne (Hargreaves) Graham graduated from Kingswood School in 1957. Her parents, Jeanne Wilson Hargreaves and William B. Hargreaves also graduated from Kingswood and Cranbrook, both in 1935. Jeanne Graham's grandfather, Charles Wilson, gave the commencement speech at the 1957 Kingswood graduation ceremonies and, at the time, was the United States’ Secretary of Defense. This small collection contains papers and memorabilia from both Jeanne Graham and her parents' days as students at Cranbrook...
Dates: 1934 - 1957
Abstract The Institute of Advanced Pastoral Studies was established in 1957 for continuing theological education for clergy and lay leaders to share ideas on integrating historic Christian insights with twentieth century findings from human sciences and open dialogue with other traditions. It hosted seminars and conferences bringing together leaders from Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish traditions. The founder, Dr. Reuel L. Howe, remained director until 1973 and was succeeded by Dr. John E....
Dates: 1957 - 1981
Abstract John W. (Jack) Kausch (1929-2002) was a Cranbrook School ('47) and University of Michigan ('56) alum whose keen interest in photography and film led to a lucrative career as a photographer, filmmaker, and entrepreneur. His first stint as a photographer for Cranbrook’s student newspaper (The Crane), and yearbook (The Brook) was the launchpad for his 34-year long career. Kausch not only owned a photographic studio in Birmingham, MI, he participated in projects organized by the likes of the Jam...
Dates: 1960 - 2001
Abstract Arthur Nevill Kirk was born on July 20, 1881, in Lewes, Sussex, England. He taught as a metalcraft instructor before George Gough Booth persuaded him to move to the United States. Kirk arrived in September 1927 and began designing ecclesiastical pieces for Christ Church Cranbrook, teaching at Cranbrook School (1927-1929), and two years later directing the the metals shop of the Academy of Art and subsequently the Silver Department. When economic depression caused the art shops at the...
Dates: 1873 - 2015